Yesterday, endpoint security solution provider Symantec announced a double acquisition of Javelin Networks and Appthority. According to Symantec, both Appthority and Javelin Networks will be folded into its endpoint security business when the deals become finalized.
Appthority is a solution provider offering mobile application security analysis. It can analyze mobile applications for malicious functions and data loss vulnerabilities. Domingo J. Guerra, Co-Founder of Appthority, said in a statement: “Mobile users increase the enterprise attack surface with each app they install.”
In a separate statement on the Appthority acquisition Adi Sharabani, Senior Vice President of Modern OS Security at Symantec, said: “Mobile apps are a critical threat vector that every company must address to protect their enterprise security.”
Javelin Networks detects Active Directory misconfigurations and backdoors. It is designed to prevent illicit reconnaissance and credentials misuse on the Active Directory, as well as protecting domain resources from the endpoint. These can include domain controllers, identities, and credentials.
On the Javelin Networks acquisition Javed Hasan, Senior Vice President of Endpoint and Data Center Products at Symantec, said: “In the cloud generation, identity management services, such as Active Directory, are a critical part of a user’s interaction with their organization’s applications and services. They are also a critical information repository that attackers regularly exploit.”
Sources indicate Symantec intends these acquisitions to extend their security portfolio and improve their mobile endpoint security and their cloud security capabilities. The purchases also serve to supplement their Microsoft Active Directory protection.
The terms of both deals have not been revealed at the time of writing. Symantec purchased another provider, Skycure, in July of last year—indicating an aggressive acquisition strategy in an increasingly competitive endpoint security market.
- You Need to Hire More Female Cybersecurity Professionals
- In Focus: The Desperate Shortage of Women in Cyber Security
- Gartner’s 2018 Magic Quadrant for Endpoint Protection Platforms (EPP): What’s Changed?
- 4 Tips For Endpoint Security Solutions (That Everyone Forgets)
- Comparing the Top Endpoint Security Vendors — Solutions Review
- Answering the Top 4 Enterprise Endpoint Security Questions
- What Can We Expect for the Future of Endpoint Security?
- The 25 Best Endpoint Security Platforms and Tools of 2018
Latest posts by Ben Canner (see all)
- Endpoint Protection Capabilities You Need for the Cloud - April 18, 2019
- Endpoint Monitoring, EDR, and Endpoint Security: What Do You Need? - April 17, 2019
- Opinion: Can Your Cybersecurity Be a Competitive Advantage? - April 12, 2019