Today, privileged access management provider Centrify released a new report. This “Reducing Risk in Cloud Migrations: Controlling Privileged Access to Hybrid and Multi-Cloud Environments” report surveyed respondents around the world.
Overall, Centrify discovered a majority of respondents (60 percent) misunderstand the shared responsibility model for cloud security; they incorrectly believe the responsibility for securing privileged access lies with the cloud provider. Of course, the actual responsibility lies with the enterprise.
Unfortunately, the majority of enterprises don’t employ common security models or enforcing least privilege access rules to reduce risk. Indeed, this might imperil enterprises’ cloud migration efforts; the majority list security as their main challenge with their cloud migrations.
According to the “Reducing Risk in Cloud Migrations: Controlling Privileged Access to Hybrid and Multi-Cloud Environments” report by Centrify:
- 68 percent of enterprises don’t implement Privileged Access Management best practices to control access to cloud environments.
- Meanwhile, 60 of respondents view security as the leading challenge for their cloud migration projects.
- 76 percent use more than one identity directory in their cloud environments. This puts them at risk for identity sprawl and unsecured cloud surface attacks.
Identity and Cloud Migrations: Key Takeaways
Tim Steinkopf, CEO of Centrify, gave a statement with the release of the report. “As the enterprise threatscape expands, organizations are faced with new challenges to secure modern attack surfaces, and this report makes it clear that the cloud is no exception.”
“We know that 80% of data breaches involve privileged access abuse, so it’s critical that organizations understand what they are responsible for when it comes to cloud security, and take a least privilege approach to controlling privileged access to cloud environments. Too much access and privilege puts their workloads and data at risk.”
You can read the full “Reducing Risk in Cloud Migrations: Controlling Privileged Access to Hybrid and Multi-Cloud Environments” report by Centrify here. Also, you can learn more about integrating privileged access management with cloud deployments in our Guide. We cover the top solutions providers and their key capabilities in privileged access management and identity management.
Latest posts by Ben Canner (see all)
- 5 Critical Business Identity Governance Use Cases - January 24, 2020
- The 7 Best LinkedIn Identity Management Groups You Should Join - January 23, 2020
- The Benefits of Identity Management for Healthcare Businesses - January 21, 2020