Red Hat has made a number of announcements at its user group conference, Red Hat Summit. This included the announcement of OpenShift.io to assist in the creation of software as a service applications, pre-built application runtimes to facilitate creation of OpenShift-based workloads, an index to help enterprises build more reliable container-based computing environments, an update to the Red Hat Gluster storage virtualization platform allowing it to be used in an AWS computing environment, and, an announcement of a Red Hat/Amazon Web Services partnership.
Red Hat summarized the announcements as follows:
- OpenShift.io. A free, end-to-end, SaaS development environment for cloud-native apps built with popular open source code, built for modern dev teams using the latest technology. Built from technologies including Eclipse Che, OpenShift.io includes collaboration tools for remote teams to analyze and assign work. Code is automatically containerized and easily deployed to OpenShift.
- Red Hat OpenShift Application Runtimes. A pre-built, containerized runtimes for multi-language microservices (Spring Boot, Java EE, Eclipse MicroProfile, Eclipse Vert.x, and Node.js) natively integrated with OpenShift. Working with Red Hat OpenShift Application Services (containerized middleware services running on OpenShift).
- Container Health Index. The index inspects and grades all of Red Hat’s container products as well as those from certified ISV partners, giving customers confidence of deploying containers that are secure, stable and supported. Red Hat will be certifying 20 ISV partner products within the next 90 days.
- Red Hat Gluster Storage with Red Hat OpenShift Container Platform on AWS. A new solution to help customers achieve more consistent, software-defined storage for stateful applications.
- Partnership with Amazon Web Services (AWS) to integrate AWS services into Red Hat OpenShift.
These announcements covered some of the most pertinent issues in the industry, including containers, rapid application development, storage virtualization, and cloud computing.
- Solutions Review Best of 2018: Top Container Security Articles - December 20, 2018
- Logicworks and AVANT Communications Announce Alliance - December 19, 2018
- A Look at the Container Lifecycle and How to Keep it Secure - December 14, 2018