Disclaimer: The opinions described in this article belong to the researchers and editors of The Forrester Wave: Privileged Identity Management, Q4 2018 report. Solutions Review does not expressly condone any individual solution or solution provider.
Cambridge, MA-based analyst house Forrester Research has recently released the latest iteration of its flagship Wave Report, full title: “The Forrester Wave: Privileged Identity Management, Q4 2018.” It is available here, courtesy of Centrify.
In their 35-criterion evaluation of privileged identity management, researcher Andras Cser identifies what they consider the 11 most significant providers.
The 11 solution providers named to The Forrester Wave: Privileged Identity Management, Q4 2018 are BeyondTrust, Bomgar, CA Technologies, Centrify, CyberArk, ManageEngine, Micro Focus, One Identity, Senhasegura, Thycotic, and WALLIX.
The Wave Report details their findings and examines how each vendor meets (or falls short of) Forrester’s evaluation criteria and where vendors stand in relation to each other. The Wave Report also outlines the current state of the market and separates the top providers into Leaders, Strong Performers, Contenders, and Challengers.
The editors of Solutions Review read The Forrester Wave: Privileged Identity Management, Q4 2018 report. We pulled a few of the most important takeaways. They are:
Four Vendors Take the Lead(er Position)
The Forrester Wave: Privileged Identity Management, Q4 2018 names Centrify, Thycotic, BeyondTrust, and CyberArk as their four Leaders.
Meanwhile, One Identity and CA Technologies are both named as Strong Performers; WALLIX is the sole Challenger, whereas Bomgar, Micro Focus, ManageEngine, and Senhasegura all stand as Contenders.
Among the 4 Leaders:
- CyberArk receives praise for its strong password safe and privileged threat analytics. It is also singled out for its acquisition of Conjur to improve its containerization.
- BeyondTrust is lauded for its DevOps strategy and privileged session recording capabilities. The report’s research was conducted before Bomgar announced its acquisition of BeyondTrust (which may see BeyondTrust move up even further in the Wave in future reports).
- Centrify receives high marks for its endpoint privileged delegation and customer-managed privileged identity offerings. The research was conducted before Centrify’s IDaaS business became a separate entity, Idaptive.
- Forrester names Thycotic to the Leaders section for its expansion efforts and its endpoint discovery capabilities.
3 Key Differentiators in Privileged Identity Management
In The Forrester Wave: Privileged Identity Management, Q4 2018, behavior analytics, cloud, and DevOps were considered the key differentiators. Researchers consider password vaulting and session management vital components but maturing ones proving less effective in deterring threats. Privileged threat mitigation for the modern age will stem from the cloud and delivery platform integration.
What Will Next Year Hold?
Because of the timing the research for The Forrester Wave: Privileged Identity Management, Q4 2018 was conducted, many of the major market moves by the named vendors were not incorporated into their considerations (as described above). What will this mean for the next Forrester Wave Report for Privileged Identity? Only time will tell.
You can download the full The Forrester Wave: Privileged Identity Management, Q4 2018 here.
- The Best Identity Governance Tools and Vendors in 2023 - December 31, 2022
- The Best Privileged Access Management Providers for 2023 - November 1, 2022
- The 10 Best Free and Open-Source Identity Management Tools - October 15, 2022