Over the past 6 months we have seen Mobile Devices Management (MDM) solution providers push to bring their functionalities into Android devices. Recently companies like MobileIron and SOTI (just to name a few) have joined others in providing solutions to the Android OS, which has been a bit of a struggle due to the lack of common or consistent APIs for Mobile Device Management (MDM) providers to work with. The push to provide Android support is for good reason, as shown in a recent study released by Good Technology.
The Good Technology Device Activations Repots Q2 2012 outlines the lay of the land of device activation among their enterprise customers providing insight into trends and adoption in the enterprise sector. They highlight the types of devices, the platforms used and industry usage across the April, May and June months of 2012. A few key takeaways that resulted from the data and activity of the more that 4,000 Good Customers can be see below. Also, click here to view the report in its entirety.
- Android activation grew 10 percent overall in Q2 2012 to 37 percent
- Samsung’s Android devices captured three of the top 10 devices activated.
- Smartphone activations nearly doubled from Q1 2012
- iOS continued to lead the field with 70.8 percent of all activations in Q2 2012
- iPads lead the tablet market with 94.5 percent of all tablet activation in Q2 2012
- Government/Public Sector, Manufacturing and the Wholesale and Retail industries lead mobile deployment expansion