Dave Linthicum is the CTO of Cloud Technology Partners, and trusted cloud computing and SOA expert. He recently wrote a very thoughtful article on the Actian Guest Blog entitled The New Focus on Data Integration.
In the post Mr. Linthicum argues that while “data integration” has been around for quite some time, the notion that it is easy or better yet easily implemented is no where near the truth, “While data integration is much easier than it was 10 years ago, it’s still a complex task that requires some very good technology. Indeed, data integration technology is strategic to the success of the company, and requires some planning and consideration.”
While the core challenges of integrating data remain to this day, Mr. Linthicum explores four new challenges facing enterprises as they take on the task today.
- The need to deal with more complex data, including data leveraged for deep analytical services.
- The need to deal with the emerging use of big data systems, many that leverage both structured and unstructured information.
- The rise of noSQL databases that are typically leveraged for a single purpose, such as data analytics.
- The rise of public and private cloud-based resource usage that requires the synchronization of systems and databases with traditional IT resources.
“These problems lead to enterprises take another look at their existing data integration strategy and technology.” states the author. “In a few cases, data integration was never leveraged, and data moved from place to place using a hodgepodge of ad hoc approaches that led to ineffective solutions.”
Perhaps a fifth new challenge that belongs on the list is later described by Mr. Linthicum as well, “The security and governance requirements are also changing. They need to be built into your data integration solution. This means that your data integration technology can leverage new security approaches, such as identity management, which are more common in widely distributed environments. This includes the increasing use of cloud computing.”
- How to Benefit from Moving Your ECM Tool to the Cloud - May 31, 2019
- Where are 5G Networks for Enterprises? - December 21, 2018
- Solutions Review Best of 2018: Top Network Performance Monitoring Articles - December 20, 2018